Visas and red tape

All visitors to Australia, except New Zealanders, require a visa or Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). Visa application forms can be obtained from Australian High Commissions, embassies or consulates ; citizens of the US can also get them from the embassy Internet sites. Three-month tourist visas , valid for multiple entry over one year, are issued free and processed over the counter, or are returned in three weeks by mail. However, the new computerized system, Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) can speed things up: passengers give their details to airline or travel agents who transmit them to Australia, with confirmation taking only a few minutes. You must be flying on a major airline, and travel agents charge to process the visas.

Other useful information for tourists (each section contains more specific sub-sections):